Peso bills with design tweaks released: Bangko Sentral
MANILA - The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas said it released on Tuesday banknotes with enhanced designs to highlight the country's history and natural wonders.
New Generation Currency banknotes without the design changes, however, remain legal tender, the BSP said, adding it would also release notes with the signature of Governor Nestor Espenilla Jr., who took office in July.
"The Philippine banknotes remain a constant reminder of the Philippine patriotism and bravery, and centuries of journey for the Filipino peopleâs better future," the BSP said in a statement.
Braille marks and other security enhancements are also being considered, the regulator said.
The changes include:
- The obverse or front side of the banknote now depicts the Declaration of Philippine Independence and the opening of the Malolo s Congress.
- Addendum in the text âLeyte Landingâ to âLeyte Landing October 1944â on the lower right corner of the banknote.
- Deletion of the image of the Order of Lakandula Medal and the phrase âMEDAL OF HONORâ in the obverse side of the banknote.
P20, P50, P100, P200, P500, and P1,000
- Changes in the format of the scientific names
- Increase in the font size of the year mark